“America’s quietest great writer.” A description of Calvin Trillin, Boston Globe, 01/06/2007.
This site is maintained by Sally Gore – librarian by day, off-duty librarian by night. I play the mandolin and ukulele, I listen to all kinds of music but enjoy singer-songwriter folk musicians best, I have a part-time gig as a clinical exercise physiologist, I was a minister until I came to realize I didn’t wholly believe what I was saying, and the thing I like doing best in life is to make people smile or better, laugh. I live with my wonderful partner, an angel of a dog, and a cat who’s learning to live with people. And other than a good person, I aspire to be the NEXT quietest great writer.
Five Favorite Books
- Holy the Firm, Annie Dillard
- A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving
- Lying Awake, Mark Salzman
- Oranges Aren’t the Only Fruit, Jeanette Winterson
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Richard and Florence Atwater (the very first “chapter book” I can recall reading)
Five Favorite Movies
- Desk Set (required viewing for anyone working in a library)
- Lone Star (or anything directed by John Sayles, though this is probably my favorite)
- Best in Show
- Cool Hand Luke
- And my favorite movie of all time… Coal Miner’s Daughter